Purchase of Animals
Animals that have passed inspection will have an inspection
date. If the animal still needs to be inspected the
certificate will specify so.
3. Particulars of animal itself in square.
Top half: sire with his sire and dam and their ancestors Ė
sire always upper side and dam lower side of animal. Lower
half: dam with her sire and her dam and ancestors.
5. Birth Status: S = Single, TW = Twin (beware: see 6),
6. Sex of twin M (bull) or F (female). With bull/heifer twin the heifer is infertile.
7. ďAIĒ if begotten by artificial insemination.
8. Country of origin: ZA = South Africa,
NA = Namibia, DE = Germany, AT = Austria as well as
other international two letter codes.
9. Identification tattooed in the animalís ear Ė check with ear.
Book section: F1, F2, F3,
This line contains
the breeding values (EBVs) of the animal.
This is the best prediction of
how an animalís progeny will perform. Below indicated
is the breedís
average breeding value.
weight (coupled to calving ease)
- the lower (negative) the better.
(Stands for breed average) =
■ 200: Weaning weight or pre-wean growth. Important for heavy weaners. Genetic related
to 400 and 600 days.
■ 400: 400 Day or yearling weight. Genetic related to 200 and 600 days.
■ 600: 600 Day weight
- beware for too high.
■ Cow: Mature cow weight. Aim for average. This breeding value should be lower than the 600 days. Ø 28. Also compare this with the 200 days in order to determine relative
■ Milk: Milk of cows or bullís daughters.
13. The breeding value (EBV) evaluation date - always ask for the certificate with the latest data.
(The latest data can always be accessed via the
website. Follow the
link, enter the animalís ID and click on
accuracy or reliability of the breeding values: the higher these
figure the better. Even
an EBV with a low accuracy is a more accurate indicator of the animalís
value than a performance test index or weight.
15. Breeding values for (starting at the top) sireís sire; sire; sireís dam and below damís sire,
dam and damís dam.
Animals that have been DNA tested will have a
DNA profile number here. Compulsory for breeding